Clip-in pedals are also known as clipless pedals. They’re called clipless because they don’t use toe clips. They function by clipping the cleat on the bottom of your shoe into a compatible pedal. They’re used for all types of riding, including road, mountain, gravel, touring, commuting, cyclocross and racing.
• More efficient pedal strokes since you gain the ability to pull up on the pedals
• Your feet remain in proper position once clipped in – no realignment or adjustment needed
• No popping off the pedals while riding rougher terrain
• It takes time and practice to get used to clipping in and out safely (but it’s really not a difficult skill to pick up)
• You can’t just pull your foot directly up off the pedal